Monday, October 15, 2012

MoFo #15: Peanut Satay!

Tonight we had a favorite food of mine that I almost never make at home, 'cuz it's such a treat to get it at a restaurant:  SATAY!

Well, sort of.  I made the dip part of the satay-- a delicious, slightly spicy, creamy conconction of some of my favorite friends:  chunky peanut butter, coconut milk, ginger, garlic, hot peppers, soy sauce, and tamarind paste.  And of course, a little sriracha.

Peanut satay dip

What's life without a sriracha heart on this, a sriracha heart on that?  I reined in the overall spiciness of the sauce because I wanted everyone else in the house to eat it.  It was a big hit with the Emperor (despite the fact that he SAW me putting both hot peppers and sriracha into it, two things that generally lead to an instant no for him) and with the Magician, who just kept eating it off of my fingers.

Oh, we loved it too.  In part because we had it with some shut-your-mouth! delicious kebabs.

Whole lotta kebabs

Dang son, that's a lot of kebabs.  They have:  tofu marinated in soy sauce, yellow and orange bell pepper, tiny heirloom tomatoes, zucchini, parsnip, and yellow carrots.  I brushed them with peanut oil and broiled on high for 10 minutes, turning once.  They were perfect.

I was surprised how good of a kebab parsnip makes for!  PARSNIP!  I love parsnips but it's not a place I'd think to use it, especially not with an asian dip.  Consider me schooled.

Also consider me:  unlucky!  My super-short duration cold, which I was so pleased about a day or two ago, has  morphed into a sinus infection.  NOOOOOOOOOOOO.  I used to get sinus infections all the time before I went to college, and I truly hate their unique form of discomfort.  Ugh.  Anyway, I was feeling like a treat this afternoon so the Emperor and I went out for coffee for the first time in some time:

Coffee! Ha ha ha, not.

Look at him!  Doesn't he look like a little person, just out on the town enjoying his latte?  He's not having a latte, of course-- just steamed soymilk.  Part of me can't believe that I paid money for my kid to have a cup of steamed milk... but some other part of me thinks it's nice that we got to treat ourselves to a shared hot drink on a lovely fall day.

I don't have any segue to today's Magician picture, I just kinda love this shot and so I'm posting it:

Couch cuddle

Okay, time to go rest a bit.

1 comment:

Erin said...

The kebabs look fantastic, and the sauce sounds great! And G looks so sophisticated drinking his hot beverage.